Saturday, July 12, 2008

Last Thursday the UW oncologist signed off on Jon's chemoemboization and we have heard rumors that it will be scheduled on July 22nd. We are still waiting for final confirmation on the date and expect to know by Monday. I wasn't able to go with him to the appointment but Kelsey insisted on tagging along. Jon had left for backpacking before I got home that afternoon so I asked him over the telephone what the doctor has said. He replied, "She said I was going to die." Now you never know with Jon if he's joking or serious so I replied, "We all are, Jon, and you'll probably outlive the rest of us." When I got home I asked Kelsey about it and he confirmed that the UW oncologist was amazed that Jon was still alive and, although he's showed remarkable improvement, she made sure to tell him that he probably won't survive this cancer no matter what procedure they do. I asked Kelsey if that upset him (I already know Jon just tunes that out). Kelsey said, "No, I figure you and Jon are told that all the time and you just ignore it." Good for him!! It is completely appalling to me that doctors treat any patient like that, especially one who has beaten all the odds. With that, Jon left for a four day backpacking trip and continues to feel great. I suspect he's been procrastinating scheduling the procedure because he's enjoying himself so much right now. Our weather has been beautiful and he's outside every chance he gets hiking, biking and even running up Lakeland Hills. He and I are backpacking next weekend and hopefully, he'll have the embolization on the 22nd. As much as I dread seeing him back in bed I am anxious to get it over with and kill the rest of that cancer.

No comments: