Sunday, December 9, 2007

OH, GRANNY WHALEN!

Remember last year when Jon refused to buy new jeans in case he might die and not get his money's worth? Well he started that nonsense again this fall. He had a pair of jeans that were fairly worn and had a couple of holes in them. He asked me to patch them for him but I refused and told him he needed a new pair since he was going to live til 100. When we were in California for Staci and Octavio's wedding he asked his mother-in-law, Faye Whalen, if she would do the honors. Although I protested, she agreed and suggested that Levi bring them to her in Arizona during his upcoming visit. I then tried to convince Levi that he should just throw them in the trash, but being the compliant son he followed his father's orders.

To my delight, when Levi and Ericka returned they presented me with the most attractive pair of jeans I think I had ever seen. Granny Whalen said, "Oh, I'll fix Jon's jeans all right," then proceeded to sew on glitter, heart shaped pink patches. We all laughed our heads off and came up with a plan to put them in his closet with all of his other jeans so he would just pull them out on a dark morning and put them on. Jon has some days where he is pretty foggy in the head after chemo so we were pretty sure we'd get away with it. Sadly, last week Jon walked out of the closet shouting, "Faye ruined my jeans!" Although I was disappointed he didn't actually put them on, the look on his face was priceless!

Excellent job, G-dub!

2 comments:

Staci said...

Can we see a picture of them???? PLEASE!!! I can't wait until my Christmas visit...must see 'em NOW!!!

LORRINICHOLS said...

Sorry Stac, Dad already threw them away :(