Monday, October 22, 2007

Back Home

We returned from California at about 1:30 this morning (our flight was delayed due to high winds). The wedding was beautiful and our happy bride and groom are off enjoying their honeymoon in Hawaii. I have given up being the family photographer because I was finding myself missing out on the activities when I was busy taking the pictures. As such, I am now relying on everyone else to do the job and email me pictures. I have a nice selection of Levi and Ericka but am now waiting for Staci and Octavios. I will do a good wedding picture post of both nuptials as soon as I am up to date with the newly married Marquezs.

Jon is doing amazingly well. He felt great during the entire trip even though he had his decayed tooth extracted on Tuesday without taking the recommended antibiotics first. Of course he woke up in the middle of the night with fever and chills which had subsided by Wednesday with Tylenol, mataki drops, and vitamin C. (Have I mentioned how bullheaded the guy is???) When I'm irritated from taking care of him at 2 in the morning because he didn't take the prescribed meds I remind myself that this is the exact stubbornness that will beat this cancer.

Jon's latest theory is that the combination of Tarceva, Gemzar, and Taxol superkilled his cancer cells. Although he felt like crap at the time he says he feels better now than he has since he was diagnosed. Our new schedule is the best of both worlds...intravenouses Gemzar and Taxol for four weeks, oral Tarceva for one week, and so on, until mid December. We also just found out about a new drug, Nexavar that works with a similiar mechanism as Tarceva but has been proven more effective for both kidney and liver cancer. Cancer cells frequently become immune to chemotherapies that have worked int the past so it is exciting to have as much ammunition in your arsenal as possible (did I just say ammunition? ...I think we've been married too long already.) So life here in the Nichols family is good.

Please remember in your prayers of friends Paul and Kelli Hutton. Paul was diagnosed with testicular cancer around the same time as Jon. He had failed all standard medical treatments and has been treating at SCTWC for the past few months. Although he had initial improvement the last week has been very difficult and his symptoms have rapidly worsened. As I am writing he is receiving a blood and platelet transfusion at Swedish Hospital in hopes of continuing his chemotherapy this week. Please send all of your love, prayers and positive thought to Paul, Kelli and their sons Gabe (3 yrs) and Paul Jr (4 months). Hope must always spring eternal in fighting this disease.

No comments: