Thursday, October 11, 2007

We received some disconcerting news last Tuesday while Jon was at chemo. It seems Aaron Barrett, our pancreatic survivor hero is back in treatment. The details are sketchy but apparently his cancer has reoccurred and was detected either in blood work or during a scan. He had been cancer free for two years. We will attempt to follow his progress.

All in all Jon's been feeling pretty good this week. The news about Aaron "took the wind out of his sails for a minute" but he's back to his old self. He is quite proud of the fact that he hasn't taken or felt like he's needed any pain medication in the last year. It was amusing during our visit with Dr. Reilly when he had asked Jon what he had been taking for pain and Jon responded "pain, why would I take something for that?" He also, of course informed Dr. Reilly of his favorite Marine Corp saying, "Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body" or maybe cancer leaving the body in this case!

Today is the usual crash and burn day but it seemed to go much better without the Tarceva. He is packing right now to go deer hunting for the weekend with his friend Jeremy. Hopefully his energy will hold out for the trip.

One final dilemma...remember the jeans scenario from last year? Well the two pair he finally bought are now starting to wear out. He just can't decide if he should spring for a new pair or just keep wearing the old ones just in case he doesn't live long enough to get his monies worth out of another new pair. He finally settled on asking me if I can patch them for him. Maybe I'll just do some shopping over the weekend instead!

2 comments:

Levi Nichols said...

My father is my hero. He told me once when I was a kid, down at the seattle shop to stack some tires over the work bench. I gave it my all and could not. He stood next to me and said "I wont just do it, I'll do it with one hand behind my back". And he did.

Staci said...

That's our Dad! He was probably covering up some holes on the bathroom walls too! Or maybe asking us to pick up cigarette butts from out in the gravel driveway!!! That's my favorite!!! DIRT BOMBS!