Sunday, February 24, 2008

It's been a rough weekend for the old guy :( We went to a nutrition seminar on Saturday, he did OK until about 3pm when he left early to take a nap before we went out to dinner with friends. When I got home at 5:30 he was exhausted and having terrible spasms in his back. We ended up canceling our dinner plans and going to my office so I could give him some chiropractic TLC. It helped for a few hours but it came back with a vengeance in the middle of the night. We managed to make it to church in the morning but then went to my office to do some x-rays and more treatment. It appears that he has had another vertebral body collapse, this time at L5, last time it was in his the thoracic spine. The collapse is the result of him losing bone density from the steroids they give him to prevent an allergic reaction to the chemo. The only good thing is that he had such a problem there for years (a spondylolisthesis of L5 we discovered when I x-rayed him 30 years ago) that the vertebra was already fairly fused to the one below it. Although it was very painful over the weekend it shouldn't cause him continued problems. All the exercise he's done over the years has prevented him from having much pain there. I started him on calcium and magnesium supplements this afternoon.

He has slept most of the afternoon and has not had any more spasms in his back or heart. His hands and feet have calmed down as well. Jon's currently resting comfortably on the couch in front of a warm fire. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. We are both anxious to stop this round of chemo and get the surgery scheduled.

I've had a lot of calls and emails saying that its difficult to post a comment on the blog. I will look into that and see if I can fix the problem. I do appreciate everyones emails when the can't leave a comment.

I've also had a number of people ask me who they should make their check out to for the cancer fundraiser. It should be written to the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society of America

Thank you for all of your ongoing prayers and support.

No comments: