Sunday, March 23, 2008

Resembling a Normal Life

We had a really good weekend. Jon joined me and my team for a 47 mile bike ride on a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning. We were both a little tentative when we started out up the hill to Snoqualmie Falls but after a few miles it was like he had never been sick at all. Every week we dedicate our rides to a special individual who is or was fighting cancer. This week it was a young man named Alex, 16 year old cancer survivor in remission for the past two years. He gave a moving talk at the beginning of the ride, then passed Jon and I like we were standing still up the first hill. Everyone there is an inspiration to us.

For every one thousand dollars I raise I can honor a cancer patient or survivor, naturally Jon was my first honori, courtesy of our Aussi friends Ray and Leonie who sent a $1000 donation. Next is my friend Diane Palmar's daughter Caitlin, who died of leukemia when she was 12 years old, My third thousand will go to my long-time patient Brianna who is currently fighting lymphoma, she is my age and has two children the same ages as Elizabeth and Kelsey. I get to have each of their names on my entire teams cycling jerseys the day of the ride. When you live in the cancer world you never run out of people who move and inspire you so I should have a jersey full of special people by June 1

Today we had the family over for Easter and thoroughly enjoyed everyone, especially Maelie. She was quick to find the hidden plastic eggs full of chocolate while all the adult kids competed for the ones with dollar bills. Levi reminded us that by Thanksgiving there would be another grandchild (son he says!) to entertain us all for the holidays. I am thankful for all the wonderful people who make everyday special for our family.

Chemo starts again on Tuesday, it's been a good week and Jon is feeling strong and ready to go.

2 comments:

Staci said...

Let us know if you or anyone else wants vinyl stickers for the back of their helmets or anything. We will make them for anyone on your team for free if they take a picture of the sticker" in action" and send it to us.

PS "honoree"

-Staci

LORRINICHOLS said...

Thanks Stac, that's a great idea.

I did wonder about my spelling on that and my spell check offered no options, I should have knownt to call you!!