Thursday, February 19, 2009

Jon had another rough day yesterday. When I was changing planes in Chicago I called him and he sounded delirious and confused. He and Staci were returning from the accountant and I really couldn't understand much of what he was saying. When I talked to Staci she said that he had been like that all morning and that when she first checked on him that day he was already up and had taken his meds himself (with no food of course). She tried to get him to eat but it sounds like he couldn't get very much down. We called Dr. Linn and he instructed Staci to bring Jon to the UW but Jon refused. The doctor felt that the confusion could be from his new medication that Jon might have taken incorrectly but they wanted to do a brain scan to make sure there were no other causes for concern. Kelsey and I got home at 6:30 and Dan was here with Jon while Staci on her way to the airport with Levi. They all tried to get Jon to go to the hospital but he wasn't having any of it. I talked to the nurse and she said if he was comfortable and becoming less confused I could wait until today. When I finally saw him and was able to assess the situation he was only mildly confused, he knew his name, birthday, today's date and even that Obama was president. Neurological testing (pupils, reflexes, cranial nerves) was also negative so I felt it was safe to let him sleep it off. Dr. Lin also did not want Jon to take anymore Xoloda until the confusion passed but Jon was insistent on taking it. Fortunately Staci had moved the Xyloda into another bathroom and Dan hid the rest of his meds. Jon agreed to not take anything else without someone assisting him but he was really pissed off that I wouldn't give him any more Xyloda.

In the middle of the night he awoke in excruciating pain. It took two oxycodone to calm him down and enable him to sleep. He is currently still asleep and I am waiting until the doctor gets in at 8am to formulate a plan. Jon is sick of hospitals, poking and prodding. I certainly don't blame him for that, the poor guy has been through hell. He also doesn't feel that there is anything the hospital can do for him but I'm not sure I agree at this point. We'll see what Dr. Lin has to say.

I feel badly that Jon has such a rough time the past two days while I was gone but I also feel that if I can't do the things to maintain mine (and Kelsey's) sanity I won't be much good to take care of Jon. The older I've become the more I have come to appreciate how amazing my family is. They are kind, generous, loving and hysterically funny. It was the best medicine for Kelsey and I to be surrounded by them and I feel that my strength has been renewed to continue this battle. I also appreciate everyone in Jon's family pitching in and taking care of him in my absence, especially Staci, Levi, Ericka, Dan, Tony and Tonya on this particular episode. Special thanks also to Dave Leonard for lifting Jon's spirits on his visit.

No comments: