Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dr Chue, Dr Chue, Dr Chue!

I have been on a cancer rampage since my last blog. On Friday I put calls into SCTWC, Dr. Goswami and UW Medical Center to address all of the concerns I posted on my last blog. I was only able to leave messages but am expecting return phone calls tomorrow. Ironically, while I was on the phone I received another telephone call from a number I didn't recognize. When I checked my messages, low and behold, it was none other then Dr. Chue. He left me his home telephone number and when I called him back on Saturday we had a two hour conversation about Jon and his current situation. It felt like having an audience with the Pope! The man is truly a genius and there will never be a way for Jon or I to repay him for what he has done for us. By the end of our conversation I had a list of chores and am equipped with all the questions, phone numbers and research articles I need to move forward with Jon's treatment. As it stands, Jon will continue on the current chemotherapy until he can no longer tolerate the side effects. In the meantime I will follow up on the genetic testing that was ordered when Dr. Chue was still practicing. I don't believe it was done and it is an important test to determine the effectiveness of other types of chemotherapy that may be beneficial. Dr. Chue also gave me the telephone number for a Dr. Chen who is the pioneer of Photodynamic Therapy in the Seattle area. Dr. Chue was certain it was effective for lung and liver metastasis and thought it could possibly be used on the pancreas. We also have the option of radiofrequency ablation on the pancreas and am awaiting for Dr. Goswami to give his opinion on that. Dr. Chue is not in favor of the Y90 because it has not been shown to be successful on pancreatic patients and can make Jon sicker than he already is. We will probably save that as a last ditch effort. Dr. Chue also reminded me that he had a few other "secret formulas" up his sleeve.

Jon is still very tired and his abdomen is distended by the size of the tumors. However, having Dr. Chue back in the pictures gives us hope that there are still other options available should this current regiment prove ineffective. I am grateful for having a direct line to the Chuemaster and will use it as needed. Tomorrow Jon gets his port, Tuesday we go to "Jon's Private Duck Club" together for my first duck hunting experience and Wednesday Kristi takes him to Chemo #4. New Years Eve might prove interesting. I told him he should let them give him his normal dose of steroids so he can stay up all night and ring in the New Year with me :)

This last month has been very difficult for all of us. I don't think either of us have felt this low since the original diagnosis. Cancer has a way of wearing you down after a while. But, today was a good day. Another one of Jon's friends, Dave Bartran, came over to duck hunt with Jon and I got to ski all day with my friend, Mari. It was perfect snow, a beautiful day and we had a great time. It was nice to feel happy for a few hours.

No comments: