Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Jon came home Monday afternoon with his friend "Dorsal". Everyone that knows Jon understands his fetish for nicknames and that they all continue to evolve. I honestly don't even know Dorsal's real name; he does hard money loans with Jon for which he was originally dubbed the "Loan Shark" which became "Shark" then "Dorsal Fin" then finally just plain "Dorsal". Too funny. Jon continues to call me Doc as he has for the last 25 years. It cracks me up when we are in the hospital with his many doctors and he starts saying things like "Doc, get me a sprite." Doc, where's my phone?" They all get this confused look on their faces and start to get up like they are actually going to wait on him, then it hits them that he's talking to me. It's all rather humorous and Jon likes to say that at the end of the day everything still has to be funny.

He needs to continue on IV antibiotics for the next 12 days which means driving to Seattle daily. He drove himself today but felt so lousy when he got there that they needed to wait several hours to start the infusion. He also takes a fair amount of oxycodone and should not drive when he needs the meds for pain. I am rounding up people to drive him on the days I need to see patients.

I am relieved that they finally took out his port. I am convinced that thing was contaminated when they put it in at Auburn Medical Center and it has been nothing but trouble. I am hoping that he feels somewhat better after they get this infection under control. Today starts a week on of xyloda and celebrex.

I had what I would call one of my "Blue Days" today. I always try to keep a positive and optimistic attitude but some days I just need to feel sad about this whole thing. I believe that it is healthy to actually feel your emotions and not pretend they aren't real or don't exist. I have WAY too many days where I am required to put on my happy face for work, Jon, or the doctors and sometimes its therapeutic to just let the sadness steep for a while.

1 comment:

Ronnie said...

Happy Birthday Jon, I wish you the very best on your day..I pray for you and your family so thing will get better, Your Friend Ronnie