Monday, December 18, 2006

No Stone Unturned

(Written by Staci) Before coming to visit, my dad said, "This is going to be fun. We can spend the whole day together." I said, "What do you do all day...besides nap?" He answered, "Well, I go to the doctor a lot." And that's exactly what we did today.

After some home-made anticarcinogenic pancakes (blue & pasty), we went to Dr. Mary Jane Mack's office. She is a doctor of "designed clinical nutrition." For an hour, Dad sat under "the lights." These devices are not lights at all but black, plastic boxes that give off some high frequency, quantum physics joo-joo that nukes cancer. Dad tells me that cancer exists at a low energy frequency, and "the lights" bring up the frequency too high for cancer to survive.

Then we went to acupuncture with Candace Burnikel. Dad told me Candace was the first person to tell him something was wrong with his liver (that acupuncture could not fix). And, for the record, Dad promised to buy Candace a new office if he survives!

The rest of the day Dad was on the phone with friends and family, one after another expressing support, giving information on experimental cancer research, providing referrals to estate planning lawyers...Calls came in from around the globe!

And, as if the day wasn't packed with enough cancer fighting, we stopped at the health food store on the way home for a "Liveracci" smoothie made of beets, carrots, and garlic. (As a vegetarian, even I have to say that sounds a bit too much like mulch.) But that is what this fight requires.

Never in my life have I seen such single-minded dedication and focus, not just on the physical but emotional and spiritual battlefields as well. As I type this, Dad & Lorri are sitting at the counter with pill bottles and notes spread everywhere - looking over doctor notes, discussing doses, re-analyzing strategies. No matter what happens, I will know that no stone, no tiny pebble for that matter, was left unturned.

Tomorrow is the big CT Scan that will tell us if the Chemo is working.

4 comments:

Cindy Royer said...

Jon...I just want to express to you the admiration I feel for you and your family. I have never experienced in anyone the devotion and strength you possess.I am in awe....God bless you and know that my prayers and thought's are with you and your family.

Love,

Cindy (Chandler's Mom) ;)

The Bek said...

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Jon, I admire your strength and courage, if anyone can do this...it is you! You are what I consider a natural born leader, a mentour, and an inspiration to all! Thank you for inspiring me to dream big! My thoughts and love are with you always!

Brother Tim said...

Jon,
I wish it wasn't you with cancer. I wish you had the chicken pox or something. But not this. You've been a father to me when my own wasn't around. We went hunting and camping together too many times to remember. You hired me when no boby else would. And I worked my tail off for you. And when I failed, you picked me up, time and time again. You always treated me with love and respect, something I've learned from you and continue to share with others, sometimes on your behalf. I only wish it was me and not you.

Staci said...

Uncle Tim, your message above is one of the most touching things I've ever read. You brought a tear to my eye.