Sunday, January 4, 2009

I spoke with all of the doctors today and it is unanimous that Jon needs to have the fluid drained from his abdomen. Dr. Chue cautioned that they not remove more than 2 liters at a time as that might cause his body to send all of the fluid from his blood vessels to his abdomen due to the sudden change in osmotic pressure (which could dangerously lower his blood pressure). He also cautioned against the use of diuretics for the same reason and agreed that utilizing natural methods such as supplements and acupuncture would be the best course. I do have a call in to Dr. Reilly (naturopath) but have not heard back from him yet. Jon is scheduled for acupuncture on Tuesday.

Jon is also scheduled to have the procedure tomorrow morning and is expected to come home later in the day. I am home right now cooking dinner for Kelsey and I, while trying to catch up on some work from the office. I've barely seen Kelsey all week and really need some quality time with my son.

Levi and Maelie came by for a visit and as always Maelie was a complete delight. The nurses had some concerns about Jon's exposure to any bacteria she might bring but honestly her presence does him more good than any potenial bacterial threat. Besides, his white count is actually better now than it usually is, I think the hospital just isn't used to the life we live.

Elizabeth has been visiting her friends in Spokane all week and calls me ten times a day worrying about Jon. I keep assuring her that if we needed her to come home immediately we would tell her. She is scheduled to come back tomorrow but there is a major winter storm brewing in the Cascades so I hope the Pass is open and she can get home as planned.

After dinner I will go back to the hospital for a visit. I'm bringing some of the wonderful homemade soaps we received from Staci for Christmas so that Jon can take a shower and finally get cleaned up.

Jon was all pissed off at his doctors when I left this afternoon. He basically can't believe that he's been complaining to them for the last month about his abdominal distention and they all kept telling him it was from the tumors not from fluid build up (secondary to the tumors). He's been telling me for months that he doesn't need me to help him or take him to chemo because it's really difficult for him to depend on anyone. I reminded him that the doctors can be so narrowly focued that it's good to have someone around who looks at the whole picture. Hopefully, someday, he will gain an appreciation of that.

No comments: