Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Tale of The Day

When Jon's hematacrit dipped to 20 everyone started moving quickly. They had him in special procedures by 11:45 am. The tech told me the procedure would take about 15 minutes, possibly longer if they found something. When they didn't return in the hour I took it as a positive sign that they found the bleed and were repairing it. As it turns out it was coming from the esophagus and when the doctor went in the vessels were gushing blood. It is a condition called esophageal varices that often results from increased pressure in the liver and portal vein. The doctors at Auburn Medical saw the varices but didn't tie them off because they were not actively bleeding at the time of the scope. UWMC position is that they always treat them when they find them as the varices can result in spontaneous bleeds.

He toleratled the procedure well although he fought the doc on the repair so they had to dope him up pretty good. Levi met me at the hopsital after work and Kristi followed so they could sit with him while I went home, showered, dinner and payroll. He is in ICU, not because his condition worsened but because he requires close monitoring. In the Oncology Wing it is 2 patients for every nurse, in ICU its a 1:1 ratio. A far cry from the care he's had a Auburn. I am at the office now finishing up some work and heading back for the night. I will stay through tomorrow as I want the opportunity to talk to the "Team" about further options for his cancer treatment. My hope is that Jon will be released by early next week.

No comments: