Friday, January 9, 2009

Today was my turn to wake Jon for the IV antibiotics...of course I was much nicer, it was only 6:30am and I only had to do it in time to be completed before I went to work! He ended up going back to bed and sleeping until about 10:30. He was fairly productive all day, meeting some contractors at his dental building in Burien. He was also supposed to have some blood work done today, told me he did it in the morning but then when we met for dinner tonight admitted he lied and never had it done at all. Have I ever mentioned that he truly is the world's most difficult patient?!?! Tonight he has asked me to de-access his port after I give him the last dose of antibiotics. Normally I would decline, but the port-a-nurse put such a giant needle in there I think I might actually do it to spare him the pain. I will call Ericka (our RN, daughter-in-law) if I run in to any problems.

I spoke to the Photodynamic Therapy doctors in London and at Virginia Mason today. The British doctors declined Jon's case as they have only treated primary, not metastatic cancers. I had a little better luck with the Virginia Mason doctors in Seattle who are doing PDT for metastatic esophageal cancer. They were hesitant, but said if I sent the records they would review the case and consider the procedure. We will go ahead and have Jon's records sent while simultaneously evaluating the oral chemo vs the POLF vs the Y90. It is never an easy or simple decision. So far there have not been any additional signs of bleeding (although since Jon skipped the labs today we have no measure of his hemoglobin or hematocrit) but his color and energy are fairly decent. He is still swollen up like a balloon but we have found that Epsom salts baths seem to help.

Tomorrow he and Levi go duck hunting while Kelsey and I clean up after the storm around the house. If I haven't mentioned it before, Kelsey is raising two pigs for an FFA high school project which are living in our reinforced dog kennel. They managed to escape before the snow hit and did a pretty good job of digging up the yard...Kels will be working on that tomorrow, too. The whole pig thing is quite amusing. They should get to around 300 pounds and he will sell them at the Puyallup Spring Fair.

I have a girls night planned on Saturday at Lori B.'s where we will paint ceramics, drink wine, eat good food and talk about our crazy men with a group of girlfriends. I am looking forward to a little R&R. Sunday is church and then a family dinner at the Cheesecake Factory to belatedly celebrate Ericka and Kelsey's birthdays.

No comments: