Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thanks Pam, I will call you if I think of anything. Jon is enjoying visitors but with a cold you should do it at a little distance (you can visit but no kissing :)) His white counts are actually OK right now without chemo so he's not particularly susceptible to infection.

He is still bleeding internally and has received 7 pints of blood. They continue the tagged red cell study through the night and is probably our best chance to see the bleed. It is beyond me that we can't find the source with the volume of blood coming out of him. There is another procedure where they can give him a pill with a camera inside that will pass through his digestive system. If they can't isolate the bleeding in the next day or so they plan on sending him to UW or Swedish.

Jon is petitioning the doctors and nurses to give him an exacto knife to cut out his tumor. I think the dilauded makes him even more colorful than his normal self. In all seriousness, I am taking his scans in tonight so the surgeons can evaluate whether or not surgery is a possibility. It seems to be the consensus of the doctors that the bleed is coming from a tumor in his pancreas even though they can't actually see it.

We have had excellent nurses, all men so far. I think the word is out on Jon and they know men definitely work better than women for him. Our nurse today is Vladimar from the Ukraine and he is absolutely awesome (at nursing and dealing with Jon). Ironically he graduated nursing school from Seattle Pacific with our daughter-in-law, Ericka.

So I'm on my way back to the hospital. Kristi and Tony have been "holding down the fort" while I come home for dinner and scan reports. Hopefully tonight we will have some answers.

No comments: