Sunday, April 12, 2009

I feel like it has been weeks since I've written anything so much seems to be happening so fast. Since Friday there has been a trail of friends and family traveling through our home.

Kristi was kind enough to arrive early on Saturday morning to allow me time for a bike ride which always helps me maintain my sanity. I then was able to visit Maelie at the hospital to give her her Easter Basket (she got out today and is doing fine) and finally got myself a haircut. When I returned home Staci, Kristi, Tony Tonya, Kyle, Levi, Ericka and Wyatt were there for our Easter Eve celebration. I've learned every holiday must have an eve associated with it if we are going to make the rounds with all the families. Since I was cooking Easter dinner on Sunday we all settled for frozen lasagna, salad and french bread with hot berry pie and ice cream for dessert. Not bad for a quick, thrown together dinner.

When I first arrived home Jon was in bed with Kristi, Tonya and Staci rubbing his back and skin brushing his feet. He really has quite a harem going. We were following all of the medication instructions and I would say Jon was definitely not in pain but boy oh boy was he loopy. He is quite humorous when he's all doped up but we decided on Sunday to back things down a bit to provide a bit more lucidity.

We managed to make it to church on Sunday morning albeit a half hour late. After church Elizabeth, Kelsey, Nadine and William Mortell did the customary Easter Egg hunt. Liz was the lucky one to find the golden egg with the $20. Cathy and I made dinner while Jon and Bill did some visiting. (I'm not sure what all Jon said but I warned Bill in advance it might not make much sense). It was great having my kids together at home for the first time in a long time and the Mortell family is always a blast.

Staci spent the evening with us and she and Jon were able to catch up on some things. She will be back tomorrow along with Rex to take care of Jon while I work.

Kelsey is still up and down. What seems to overwhelm him the most is all the conflict in emotion and the sadness feels when he sees Jon so weak and disoriented. We are receiving lots of support from his friends and their parents and we are both scheduling massage and counseling appointments this week.

Levi and Erika were able to spend Easter with Ericka's family and today was to be the big day for Wyatts first taste of rice cereal. Maelie was out of the hospital in time to spend part of Easter with them, too. Levi's stress level is still running high and I wish there was more I could do to minimize it for them.

I just took a hot bath and am ready to give Jon his nightly skin brushing. The hospice nurse visits again tomorrow.

Last but not least, Audrey is home from the doggie hospital and snuggled up with Elizabeth at home :)

No comments: