Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I've probably said this every day for weeks, but today was another emotional and eventful day. It began with a meeting between me, Jon, Staci, Levi and our estate planning attorney, Dan Farr. Although it's important and appropriate to discuss all these details it is always very difficult for each of us. I did my first will many years ago when my children were small and I wasn't faced with a serious illness. It takes on such a different context when you think you could die next week, next month, or next year. I am appreciative that we all had the opportunity to sit down together and come to an understanding of Jon's wishes and the content of his will.

Next, we all went out for breakfast at The Kettle in Enumclaw which is one of the Nichols families favorite places and an early breakfast date for Jon and I when we first started dating. We returned home in time to meet with the social worker who discussed any family, social or emotional needs that we might have. She provided with information on how to proceed at the time of Jon's death and how to plan a funeral. Thankfully, Staci is taking on some of the leg work on that for me. It seems morbid, sad and I just can't do it right now but I know Staci is right and we need to be prepared when the time comes. I am appreciative that she is willing to do this. Levi stayed most of the afternoon and had was sent with a list of errands from Jon for the rest of the day.

Next came them home-visit nurse. She discovered Jon's blood pressure had dropped to 60/40 and immediately called his oncologist to make some adjustments in his medications. They are stopping the lasix and nanadol and adding some new drug that is supposed to diminish the ammonia in his blood so he can think more clearly and help his bowels move along. Of course nothing is simple, Staci and Kristi stopped to get it on the way to the airport and the pharmacist didn't have all the information they needed to fill the appropriate prescriptions. I just received a call from the nurse that everything is ready to go and I can pick it up while Jake and Ann are here with Jon. Tony, Kristi and Tonya all stopped by today, too.

Jon continues to buy sporting goods equipment and planning camping trips. He remains determined to beat this thing. I have to admire his tenacity. Tony figured the worst case scenario is that we can set up his new wall tent in the back yard and spend the night with him out there! He also asks me every time I give him a pain pill why I just don't find a doctor who will cut out that huge tumor!? I told him I've been trying for the last 2 1/2 years and so far don't have any takers. He is and will always remain quite a character.

Tomorrow Cathy Mortell is Jon-sitting, Tonya is lined up for Thursday so Kelsey and I can do a marathon counseling session and Kristi is on for Friday. With any luck my parents will be here by Thursday night and we can settle into some type of routine.

As always, thank you to everyone for all of the phone calls, text messages and emails. I know that I suck at returning them but I truly have my hands full with juggling all this. I appreciate every one of you and will answer you when time allows.

1 comment:

Lori B said...

If Staci needs any help with the funeral planning, I recently handled my Auntie's and can help. It can be hard!

XOXOXO Lori B