Monday, April 20, 2009

Jon's Hospice Party

Only Jon Nichols can turn Hospice into one big, continuous party! When the Hospice nurse visited for the first time you could tell by her words and demeanor that not only did she expect Jon to never get out of bed, but also to not be around for more then a few weeks. Wasn't she surprised when she visited last Thursday to find Jon up and walking around the living room and rushing her out the door so we could get on with our day. Now don't get me wrong, he is still skinny, weak, and sometimes confused, but he is determined to continue to live his life to the fullest, whatever that may be.

He enjoyed his camping trip this weekend but called me every hour to come out and join them. Of course, I told him 100 times that I had an office event that we had been planning for 6 months and was unable to take the day off to join him. I also finally was able to get out on my bike with Lori and Mari on a beautiful Sunday morning for the first time this year, it was wonderful and therapeutic. Nevertheless, Jon and company had a great time. Thanks especially to Tony and Jake for organizing everything to make it a success and to Levi for making it out there with Maelie even after a long week of work, working early Saturday morning, and being all around a fantastic son.

After camp broke up Jon and the Bartran clan headed further into the mountains to do some shooting. I received a call from him in the early afternoon that our friend, Martin would be in town for the next 24 hours and that he and the 6 Bartan's would be joining us for dinner. Dave and Meg Bartran live near Vantage with their four boys and were gracious to drive Jon all the way home before heading back to Eastern Washington. Martin arrived around 4 and had a good visit with Kelsey before everyone else showed up. The rest of the gang arrived an hour or so later and the party begin. Martin is a talented musician and entertained us all while my parents and I prepared dinner for 13. Jon called Rex to join us and he arrived just in time for dinner. My dad sang some Johnny Cash with Martin, while I joined him for a variety of songs after dinner. It turned into quite the festive evening and Jon seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself.

Jon continues to buy camping gear and plan hunting trips. Just in case anyone is wondering, Jon has far from given up. They are all going camping again next weekend. My home is a continuous flow of family, friends, and assorted visitors. My parents have been a tremendous help in every way and I am grateful for their extended visit.

No comments: